NCBO Organized events 2005-2015
- Relation Ontology 2018, Denver, CO, October 24-25, 2018
- International Conference on Biological Ontology, Corvallis, OR, August 7-10, 2018
- Industrial Ontologies Foundry (IOF) Workshop, Buffalo. NY, July 18-19, 2018
- Capabilities: Human and Machine, Buffalo. NY, April 20, 2018
Ontology Group Meeting, Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, 3-5pm, April 9, 2018
Ontology Group Meeting, Jeannette Martin Room, University at Buffalo, 3-5pm, November 20, 2017
- 1. Update on ISO
- 2. Extending BFO:object via treatment of levels of granularity
- 3. Capabilities from a BFO perspective
- 4. Introducing Erik Thomsen
Werner Ceusters talk on "Are linguistics-based event classifications useful for realism-based process classifications?", Department of Philosophy, 141 Park Hall, University at Buffalo North Campus, noon, Friday, November 10, 2017 Abstract
CTS Ontology Workshop 2017, Microbiology for the CTSA: Ontological Approaches, Ann Arbor, October 25-26, 2017
Protein Ontology Consortium Workshop, Bar Harbor, Maine, October 11-12, 2017
Industry Ontologies Foundry: ASME Workshop 2017, Cleveland, August 6, 2017
IAOA Summer Institute on Upper Ontologies, Toronto, August 8-11, 2017
- The International Association of Ontology and its Applications (IAOA) is announcing the 2017 Summer Institute on Upper Ontologies
- Participants from all sectors of applied ontology are invited to interact from August 8 to 11, in Toronto, Canada. As always, the Summer Institute will challenge the state of the art through lively discussions and hands-on problem solving rather than lengthy presentations.
MatOnto Ontology Meeting, University at Buffalo, April 3-5, 2017
Buffalo Ontology Group Meeting, University at Buffalo, March 13, 2017 Schedule: Group Meeting March 31, 2017
Ontology Group Meeting, October 21, 2016
CTS Ontology Workshop 2016, Clinical Terminology Shock and Awe, Buffalo, NY, September 7-8, 2016
Ontology Group Meeting, University at Buffalo, April 25, 2016
- Hedi Karray (ENIT, Tarbes, France): "Applications of Ontologies in Astrophysics and Manufacturing Domains" Slides
- Mark Jensen (United Nations Environment Programme): "The UNEP Sustainable Development Goals Interface Ontology (SDGIO)" Slides
Organized jointly with the UB Center for Multisource Information Fusion
June 10, 2016
- 2pm Discussion on establishing an Industry Ontology Foundry, with talks by Barry Smith and Hedi Karay
- 3pm Presentation by Boran Brodaric on Water Feature Ontology and Timeless Wholes
May 19-20, 2016 Ontological Approaches to Sensor Data Analysis, Amherst, NY
March 21, 2016, 141 Park Hall, Buffalo
- Fabian Neuhaus talk on DOL: The Distributed Ontology Language
February 17-19, 2016 Gainesville, FL
Feb 2 and all Tuesdays until April 19 1-3:50pm, 141 Park Hall, Buffalo
- A series of seminars on various ontology-related topics, listed here.
Feb. 1, 2016, 567 Capen Hall, Buffalo Meeting on various ontology topics, including:
- Non-Coding RNA Ontology (Alan Ruttenberg)
- Ontology for Manufacturing (Francesco Furini)
- We propose an ontology focused on the representation of composite materials in general and what are called 'Functionally Graded Materials' (FGM) in particular. The scope of the ontology is to provide information about the components of such materials, the manufacturing processes involved in creating such materials, and different sorts of applications in dentistry and other fields. The ontology is developed using Basic Formal Ontology (BFO) and parts of of Ontology for Biomedical Investigation (OBI).
- Plant Life Cycle Ontology (Barry Smith)
Meeting on Current UB Ontology Projects, IHI, 3pm, December 14, 2015
Information Meeting on Joint Doctrine Ontology, Herndon, VA 20171, September 16-17, 2015
The Role of Ontology in Big Cancer Data, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, May 12-13, 2015
CTS Ontology Workshop 2015, Ontology in Practice. The Fourth Clinical and Translational Science Ontology Workshop. Charleston, SC, September 23-25, 2015
Symposium on Military Codes of Ethics, Buffalo, NY 14260, November 2, 2015
Ontology and Imaging Informatics, Buffalo, NY, June 23-25, 2014
Buffalo Ontology Group Meeting, IHI, Buffalo, January 27, 2014
Maurizio Ferraris: The Ontology of Social Reality, Buffalo, March 10, 2014
Fabian Neuhaus: Computational Creativity, CTRC, Buffalo, March 21, 2014
ImmPort: A Guide for Submitters, workshop organized in conjunction with Rho Federal Systems Division, Chapel Hill, NC, October 9-10, 2013
How to Advance Reusability of Immunology Data, Buffalo, July 23, 2013
OBO Foundry 101: Collaborative ontology development, tool support and semantic web, Montreal. Co-located with the Fourth International Conference on Biomedical Ontologies (ICBO2013), July 7, 2013
Summer School for Quantitative Systems Immunology, Institute for Computing and Computational Science and Engineering, Boston University, Boston, MA. For session on Immunology Ontology by Lindsay Cowell and Barry Smith, Tuesday June 11, 2013 see here, June 10-14, 2013.
PRO-PO-GO Ontology Workshop, Buffalo, May 15-16, 2013
Basic Formal Ontology Meeting, Buffalo, May 13-14, 2013
Ontologies for Information Integration, Buffalo, April 18, 2013. Press coverage of this event
- The challenges of big data for military, security and intelligence domains
- Military Intelligence Tries To Tame Data 'Monster'
First ImmPort Ontology Group Web Conference, Buffalo and Stanford, April 8, 2013
CTSA Ontology Workshop, Orlando, February 11-12, 2013.
Ontology for Intelligence, Defense and Security, Tutorial, Conference on Semantic Technology for Intelligence, Defense and Security, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, October 22, 2012
Basic Formal Ontology 2.0 Preliminary Development Workshop, Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences, National Center for Ontological Research. August 18-19, 2012
International Conference on Biomedical Ontology, Graz, Austria • July 22-25, 2012.
Formal Ontology in Information Systems Graz, Austria • July 25-28, 2012.
Immunology Ontologies and Their Applications in Processing Clinical Data, Buffalo, NY, June 11-13, 2012.
Basic Formal Ontology and the Signature Discovery Ontology, Buffalo, May 1-2, 2012.
Ontology Summit: Ontology for Big Systems, January-April, 2012
Workshop on Ontology Driven Implementation of Semantic Services for the Enterprise Environment: ODISSEE, Washington DC, April 12-13, 2011
An Introduction to Ontology Building (October 23, 2010)
The Future of the Electronic Health Record (September 22, 2010).
International Conference on Biomedical Ontology (July 24-26, 2009): 
Command and Control Core Ontology Exchange Meeting, National Center for Ontological Research and Army Net-Centric Data Strategy Center of Excellence, January 15-16, 2009, Buffalo NY
Ontology for the Intelligence Community: Towards Effective Exploitation and Integration of Intelligence Resources, October 21-22, 2009, Fairfax, VA
Ontology for the Intelligence Community: Towards Effective Exploitation and Integration of Intelligence Resources, December 3-4, 2008, Columbia, MD
Ontology for the Intelligence Community: Towards Effective Exploitation and Integration of Intelligence Resources, November 28-29, 2007, Columbia, MD. Proceedings
Ontology for the Intelligence Community: Towards Effective Exploitation and Integration of Intelligence Resources, Columbia, MD, November 30-December 1, 2006
NCOR Inaugural Event, October 27, 2005, Buffalo, NY.